At Active8 Robots we inspire our employees to learn and grow and become part of a winning team, committed to putting our customers first. We are passionate about developing innovative solutions to make our customers’ products better. To achieve this, we seek to hire extraordinary people with energy, passion and commitment. Our employees are our assets and we understand that without them we would not be who we are today.
We are currently on the lookout for a hands-on and proactive Engineering Manager to deliver a range of projects in Defence, Food and Pharma. The role would suit an mechanically biased Engineering Manager who is not afraid to get stuck-in when working on innovative solutions. This includes: bench build and test; working on client projects and supporting the engineering team with technical capabilities.
- Manage task allocation and priorities within the engineering team including mechanical design, electrical/controls design, and software engineering (frontend/backend). Decisions to allocate and prioritise tasks shall be based on the skillset of individuals and priorities set forth by the Project Manager.
- Support, participate and provide guidance for site surveys to assess the suitability or the feasibility for automation for various industries primarily in the FMCG, pharmaceuticals and defence industries as required.
- Material selection activities for tools and equipment based on given applications.
- Develop specification drawings and documentation for procurement activities with external suppliers. This will include providing enough data for accurate RFQ from different suppliers, carrying out diligence on supplier capabilities by engaging with reps and providing technical advice to the Project Manager (PM) prior to placing orders with them.
- Write up or review detailed User Requirement Specifications and Design Acceptance Documentation based on project and site requirements. The Engineering Manager will be expected to work with different functions to ensure that all customer requirements have been captured and work with the PM to ensure that deliverables meet the proposed scope.
- The Engineering Manager will be expected to drive brainstorming activities and come up with conceptual solutions for bespoke solutions to address automation needs.
- Support feasibility study sessions and meetings and advising customers on opportunities for automation and understanding their core KPIs and needs for automation. This shall be achieved by working closely with the PM and the Sales Manager.
- Supporting the incoming sales and technical enquiries of the business through contributing to outline proposals, technical proposals, remote meetings with customers, understanding customer requirements through regular Q&A sessions.
- Designing assemblies and component parts – develop sketches for concept, detailed design and parts list for prototyping and final solution, correct material selection based on industry applications and using a range of bought out finished material specifications where possible to design reliable equipment.
- Using 3D software packages like SolidWorks to develop detailed engineering drawings suitable for fabrication and build.
- Participate and/or carry out Health and Safety inspections also Risk Analysis on projects at the design, development, implementation, and certification stages, including CE and other formal certification processes.
- Lead and support the engineering team with technical queries, technical problem solving, steering the team in the right direction to develop solutions, and working with partners and suppliers to find the most adaptable solution for the project.
- Ensuring that all work completed meets the budgetary constraints.
- Degree level BEng/BEng (Honours) educated in Mechanical Engineering/Electrical/Electronic or Engineering Management.
- Up to 5 years of Engineering Management experience.
- Must have good working knowledge of using 3D CAD packages – Solidworks 2018 or Creo.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office packages including Excel.
- Have experience of managing a multi-disciplined team of Mechanical Design Engineers, Controls Engineers and Software Engineers in a fast moving and demanding environment.
- Must have experience of working with robotic packages (industrial/collaborative) including cobot selection, risk assessments and End of Arm Tooling design (mechanical, pneumatic, and electrical).
- Experience with rapid prototyping requirements or methods including the use of 3D printers, CNC machinery and developing proof of concepts.
- Experience of designing and specifying cobot ancillary packages including conveyors, collators, control systems, guarding, tooling and cobot mounts.
- Experience of carrying out site surveys, assessing automation feasibility requirements and compiling detail reports.
- Have a hands-on approach to problem solving including bench build and test, verification, experience of closing out FATs and SATs.
- Must have experience of working with Machinery Directive (CE) marking standards
- Must have working knowledge and experience of working with ISO 12100 (Risk Assessments), ISO 13849 (Safety Control System) & ISO 10218 (Industrial Robots).
- Able to attended/travel to sites as and when necessary and/ or required.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Working with PCBs and firmware for bespoke electronic products.
- Experience of using MS Project is desirable but not essential.