Active8 Robot’s cobot of the month this January is ABB’s single-arm YuMi. It is ABB’s most collaborative robot to date, which can be easily integrated into any production environment.
After the success of ABB’s dual-arm YuMi, last year (2018) ABB developed a single-arm YuMi to expand its collaborative portfolio. Prior to its release last year Sami Atiya, President of ABB’s Robotics and Motion division, said “based on YuMi’s enormous success, we fully expect our new single-arm robot to be equally well-received, especially since it was developed at the request of customers.”
Versatile installation for convenient deployment
Single-arm YuMi is compact and lightweight (9.5kg) and supports mounting in any direction for rapid and flexible installation to fit into existing production lines. The ultra-light magnesium arm rotates on even axes to mimic human-like movements with greater agility than 6-axis robots. The robot was specifically designed to meet the flexible production needs required by small parts assembly processes including consumer electronics, consumer goods, and small and medium enterprises.
Easy-to-use lead-through programming
Single-arm YuMi also features the same intuitive, easy-to-use lead-through programming as dual-arm YuMi, meaning workers can teach the robot motions and positions easily and quickly, greatly simplifying robot programming. Combining this simplicity with the robot’s deployment flexibility will help manufacturers in many industries to offset shortages of skilled workers and help reduce entry barriers for new potential robot users, particularly in small and medium enterprises.
Extremely versatile, the YuMi family of robots can be combined in numerous configurations. For example, a single-arm YuMi can be used to feed parts to dual-arm YuMi to increase flexibility or added as an extra arm for more complex assembly tasks requiring more than 2 robot arms.
To fulfil the enhanced safety requirements of specific usage scenarios, ABB’s SafeMove2 will be available as an option for the single-arm YuMi, giving it the full range of safety certified functions that other ABB robots have.
- 500g rated payload
- Small footprint, 7-axis dexterity
- Very lightweight manipulator, 9.5kg
- Mounting in any position
- Integrated gripper with vision and vacuum
- Best-in-class safety design
- High speed and accuracy
- PL d Cat 3 Protective stop and emergency stop
- Short cycle times
- Fenceless operations
- Easy programming with lead-through
- Lower investment
- Easier to integrate
What is so special about single-arm YuMi?
- The single-arm YuMi’s external controller enables the robot arm to have a much smaller footprint to fit into confined spaces
- The low weight and possibility to mount the single-arm YuMi at any angle makes it even more flexible and agile
How does the single-arm YuMi differ from the dual-arm robot?
- The single-arm YuMi can be mounted at any angle for maximum flexibility
- Its small footprint and seven axis agility mean it can operate in extremely confined spaces
- The single-arm YuMi uses an external controller that adds flexibility for mounting in constrained places or from the ceiling
When do customers use dual-arm YuMi and when do they use single-arm YuMi?
Each assembly application is different- some are more suited to the dual-arm, 14 axis YuMi, while others are more suited to the single-arm YuMi. Still, others might be more suited to a combination of both robots.
Think the YuMi single-arm robot might help to increase productivity in your production line? Contact us today to find out more.